Current Affairs Quiz : 28 August 2018
1. Which Minister launched an online portal for common carrier capacity booking under GAIL’s pipelines?
a) Dharmendra Pradhan
b) Rajnath Singh
c) Suresh Prabhu
d) Harsh Vardhan
2. Which Ministry launched a sports policy for its Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs)?
a) Petroleum and Natural Gas
3. Which Indian became the first badminton player to win silver in Asian Games?
a) PV Sindhu
b) Saina Nehwal
c) Srikanth Kidambi
d) HS Prannoy
4. Who has become the first Indian javelin thrower to win an Asiad gold?
a) Muhammed Anas
b) Tajinder Pal Singh
c) Dutee Chand
d) Neeraj Chopra
5. Dutee Chand, who grabbed the spotlight in the women’s 100 m finals, finished at which position in the event?
d) Did Not Qualify
6. Fouaad Mirza became the first Indian to win an Asian Games individual medal since 1982 in which sporting event?
7. Who was appointed as Chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)?
a) G Satheesh Reddy
b) Sanjay Mitra
c) Jitendra Singh
d) K Sivan Ramakrishnan
8. Which state government will organise youths’ conclave ‘ATAL’ in September 2018?
b) Arunachal Pradesh
c) Himachal Pradesh
d) Uttar Pradesh
9. The NETA app that seeks to let Indian voters rate their elected representatives, was launched by which renowned personality?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Arvind Kejriwal
c) Pranab Mukherjee
d) Rahul Gandhi
10. Which airline conducted India’s first-ever test flight powered by biojet fuel?
11. Where was the International Water Colour Festival 2018 celebrated?
12. Which city hosted the 3rd Indian Ocean Conference (IOC-2018)?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Harsh Vardhan
The Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan has launched an online portal to enable easy, efficient and transparent booking of common carrier capacity for natural gas transmission services under GAIL’s pipelines.
2. (b) Steel
The Union Minister of Steel, Chaudhary Birender Singh has unveiled the corporate sports policy for Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) under the Ministry of Steel in New Delhi. The policy will provide a framework for the promotion of sports by Steel Ministry CPSEs.
3. (a) PV Sindhu
India’s medal hunt on Day 10 at the 18th Asian Games began with two silvers from the men’s and women’s compound archery team. In the much-awaited women’s singles gold medal match between PV Sindhu and Tai Tzu Yin, Sindhu had to settle for silver after she lost to Yin in straight sets. Despite the loss, Sindhu became the first badminton player to win silver in Asian Games.
4. (d) Neeraj Chopra
The highlight of Day 9 at the 18th Asian Games was when Neeraj Chopra, with a throw of 88.06m broke the national record and clinched the much-awaited gold. With the win, he became the first Indian javelin thrower to win an Asiad gold.
5. (c) Second
The Day 8 at the 18th Asian Games ended on a high note for India with four Indian athletes – Hima Das, Muhammed Anas, Dutee Chand and Fouaad Mirza claiming the silver medal in their respective events. Dutee Chand won the country’s first medal in 20 years, when she finished second in the women’s 100 event.
6. (b) Equestrian
In a first, Fouaad Mirza became the first Indian to win an Asian Games individual equestrian medal since 1982. He finished second with a score of 26.40 in the individual equestrian jumping event behind Japan’s Oiwa Yoshiaki. Further, he along with his teammates Rakesh Kumar, Ashish Malik and Jitender Singh guided India to a second-place in the equestrian team event.
7. (a) G Satheesh Reddy
Renowned aerospace scientist Dr G Satheesh Reddy, who is scientific adviser to the Defence minister, was appointed as the Chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for a period of two years. He will also be secretary in the Department of Defence Research and Development (DDR&D) for the same period.
8. (b) Arunachal Pradesh
The Arunachal Pradesh government decided to organise a youths’ conclave “ATAL – Arunachal Transformation & Aspirational Leadership” in Itanagar on September 22, 2018.
9. (c) Pranab Mukherjee
On August 24, 2018, the National Electoral Transformation (NETA) mobile application was launched by former President Pranab Mukherjee wherein voters can review and rate their elected representatives (MPs& MLAs) as well as hold them accountable.
10. (d) SpiceJet
Budget passenger carrier SpiceJet successfully conducted India’s first-ever test flight powered by biojet fuel between Dehradun and Delhi on August 27, 2018. The 43 minute flight was operated by the airline’s Bombardier Q-400 aircraft with total 25 on onboard, including crew.
11. (a) Ranchi
The International Water Colour Festival 2018 began at Audrey House in Ranchi on August 23, 2018. The festival is organised by the Jharkhand Art Culture and Tourism Department in Audrey House. The aim of the 5-day fest is to bring local artists in touch with the international art.
12. (b) Hanoi
The 3rd edition of Indian Ocean Conference (IOC) 2018 began in Hanoi, Vietnam on August 27 with theme ‘Building Regional Architectures’. The 2-day conference was inaugurated by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj along with her Vietnamese counterpart, Pham Binh Minh.