Current affairs Quiz
1. Satya Pal Malik was appointed as the Governor of which state by President Ram Nath Kovind?
a) Jammu and Kashmir
2. Who was appointed as the Governor of Uttarakhand by President Ram Nath Kovind recently?
a) Satyadev Narayan Arya
b) Baby Rani Maurya
c) Kaptan Singh Solanki
d) Ganga Prasad
3. Which organisation recently issued advisory on ban on sale of junk food in college campuses?
a) Supreme Court
b) University Grants Commission
c) Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
d) Union Cabinet
4. Which organisation recently launched world-first blockchain bond?
a) International Monetary Fund
b) United Nations
c) World Bank
d) European Union
5. Which two Indian players won gold in the tennis men’s doubles finals at Asian Games 2018?
a) Rohan Bopanna and Yuki Bhambri
b) Ramkumar Ramanathan and Divij Sharan
c) Divij Sharan and Rohan Bopanna
d) Somdev Devvarman and Ramkumar Ramanathan
6. Which nation won gold in the women’s Kabaddi final at Asian Games 2018?
d) South Korea
7. Which state is going to rename its new capital as Atal Nagar?
c) Madhya Pradesh
d) Uttar Pradesh
8. Who has become the first Indian woman to win a gold medal in shooting at the Asian Games?
a) Manu Baker
b) Rahi Sarnobat
c) Anjum Moudgil
d) Heena Sidhu
9. FSSAI recently constituted which committee to look into draft food labelling?
a) B Sesikeran
b) Pawan Kumar Agarwal
c) Nikhil Tandon
10. President Ram Nath Kovind on August 23, 2018 reassigned which portfolios to Union Minister Arun Jaitley?
a) Ministries of Finance; and Corporate Affairs
b) Ministries of Finance; and Economy, Trade and Industry
c) Ministries of Corporate Affairs; and Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises
d) All of the above
1. (a) Jammu and Kashmir
President Ram Nath Kovind on August 21, 2018 appointed Governors for seven states including Bihar, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim, Meghalaya, and Tripura. Bihar governor Satya Pal Malik was appointed as the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir by the President. Malik replaces incumbent NN Vohra, who has been serving this post since 2008.
2. (b) Baby Rani Maurya
Former Agra mayor and ex-member of National Commission for Women (NCW), Baby Rani Maurya was appointed as the Governor of Uttarakhand. Maurya is a BJP leader from Agra.
3. (b) University Grants Commission
The University Grants Commission (UGC) issued an advisory on August 21, 2018, directing all the universities and higher education institutions to ban sale of junk food on their campuses. In this regard, the commission issued a notice to vice-chancellors of all universities to ban junk food in college premises.
4. (c) World Bank
The World Bank on August 23, 2018 launched ‘bond-i’ (Blockchain Operated New Debt Instrument), the world’s first bond to be created, allocated, transferred and managed by using distributed ledger technology. This two-year bond successfully raised 110 million Australian dollars (USD 80.48 million).
5. (c) Divij Sharan and Rohan Bopanna
The Indian tennis duo of Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan clinched the 5th gold medal for India on Day 6 of Asian Games 2018, after they beat Kazakhstan’s Denis Yevseyev and Aleksandr Bublik 6-3, 6-4 in the men’s doubles tennis event. The win takes India to the 7th position in the overall medal tally.
6. (a) Iran
Despite the surprisingly good start on Day 6 of Asian Games 2018, the Indian women’s kabaddi team suffered a shocking 27-24 loss at the hands of Iran. It was the most disappointing finish for India, as the defending champions had to settle for silver.
7. (a) Chhattisgarh
The Chhattisgarh government has decided to rename the state’s new capital city Naya Raipur as Atal Nagar in the memory of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The state has also decided to develop an Atal Memorial in an area of five acres at the state’s new capital.
8. (b) Rahi Sarnobat
The Day 4 of Asian Games 2018 took off for India with shooter Rahi Sarnobat winning the 4th gold in the finals of women’s 25m pistol event. With the feat, she has become the first Indian woman to win a gold medal in shooting at the Asian Games.
9. (a) B Sesikeran
The FSSAI constituted a group of experts from health and nutrition sector to look into the issue of labelling. The expert panel will be headed by B Sesikeran, former director of National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) and comprises Hemalatha and doctor Nikhil Tandon.
10. (a) Ministries of Finance; and Corporate Affairs
President Ram Nath Kovind on August 23, 2018 reassigned the Finance and Corporate Affairs portfolios to Union Minister Arun Jaitley. The temporary charge of both the ministries was given to Union Minister Piyush Goyal as Jaitley had undergone a kidney transplant at AIIMS on May 14, 2018 and was recovering from it.