Latest Current Affairs Quiz: 16 and 17 March 2019
1. The West Nile Virus was recently in news due to its outbreak in which state of India?
2. The Reserve Bank of India categorised which bank as a Private Sector Bank for regulatory purposes?
a) Punjab National Bank
b) IDBI Bank
c) HDFC Bank
d) ICICI Bank
3. Over 40 countries including India decided to ground which model of Boeing aircraft?
a) Boeing 737 MAX
b) Boeing 747 – 8
c) Boeing Next Generation 737
d) Boeing 777 X
4. Indian and Pakistani officials on March 14, 2019 held the first round of talks to discuss and finalise the modalities for Kartarpur Corridor. The corridor will connect which district of Punjab with Pakistan?
5. China for the fourth time on March 13, 2019 put a technical hold on the proposal to designate Masood Azhar as a “global terrorist”. The proposal was moved in UNSC by which group of countries?
6. Which nation would be soon setting up six nuclear power plants in India?
7. Which country was the largest importer of the weapons in the world during 2014-18?
a) Saudi Arabia
8. The Election Commission of India on March 11, 2019, formed a three-member committee to assess the situation on the ground in which state?
a) Jammu and Kashmir
c) Uttar Pradesh
9. What is the title of the 6th edition of the Global Environment Outlook Report?
a) Healthy Planet, Healthy People
b) Save Planet, Save Water
c) Plant Trees, Plant Joy
d) Work now for Bright future
10. The Supreme Court has set aside life ban imposed on which cricketer?
a) S Sreesanth
b) K L Rahul
c) Hardik Pandya
d) R Ashwin
1. (a) Kerala
As per the media reports, a seven year old boy from Malappuram District of Kerala is suffering from a West Nile Virus (WNV), a mosquito-borne disease, mostly reported in the continental United States. The West Nile Virus is mainly transmitted to human beings by the bite of an infected mosquito.
2. (b) IDBI Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on March 14, 2019 categorised the IDBI Bank Limited as a ‘Private Sector Bank’ for regulatory purposes with effect from January 21, 2019. The Reserve Bank of India also named the State Bank of India (SBI), the ICICI Bank and the HDFC Bank as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs).
3. (a) Boeing 737 MAX
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on March 12, 2019 midnight ordered to ground the Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft fleet in India with immediate effect following the Ethiopian Airlines crash. India joined the growing list of countries to have temporarily grounded the aircraft. Ethiopia, China, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and the United Kingdom had earlier decided to suspend the Aircraft.
4. (b) Gurdaspur
Indian and Pakistan’s officials on March 14, 2019 held the first round of talks to discuss and finalise the modalities for Kartarpur Corridor at the Indian side of the Attari-Wagah border. The Kartarpur Road Corridor will link India’s border district of Gurdaspur with the historic Gurudwara Darbar Sahib in Pakistan, which was the resting place of Guru Nanak.
5. (d) P3
Giving setback to India, China for the fourth time blocked a bid in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to designate Pakistan’s Jaish-e-Mohammed’s chief Masood Azhar as a “global terrorist”. The proposal was moved by P3 countries (France, United Kingdom and United States) on February 27, 2019 to the 1267 Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council in wake of Pulwama terror attack.
6. (c) US
India and the United States have agreed to build six American nuclear power plants in India, in an effort to boost bilateral civil nuclear energy cooperation. The United States also reaffirmed its strong support of India’s early membership in the 48-member Nuclear Suppliers Group.
7. (a) Saudi Arabia
After maintaining its position of world’s largest arms importer for about 8 years, India dropped down to be the second largest importer of weapons during 2014-18. Saudi Arabia is now the world’s largest weapons importer.
8. (a) Jammu and Kashmir
The Election Commission (EC) formed a three-member committee to assess the situation on the ground in Jammu and Kashmir before it takes a decision about holding the Assembly elections in the state. The three members of the committee are two retired IAS officers Noor Mohammed and Vinod Zutshi and a retired IPS officer, A.S. Gill.
9. (a) Healthy Planet, Healthy People
UN Environment’s sixth Global Environment Outlook (2019) titled ‘Healthy Planet, Healthy People’ calls on decision makers to take immediate action to address pressing environmental issues to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals as well as other Internationally Agreed Environment Goals, such as the Paris Agreement.
10. (a) S Sreesanth
The Supreme Court of India on March 15, 2019 set aside the life ban imposed by the Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) on cricketer S Sreesanth for indulging in spot-fixing during 2013 Indian Premier League. The judgment was delivered by a two-judge bench, comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and KM Joseph.