Latest Current Affairs Quiz for Exam: 4 and 5 May 2019
1. The United Nations Security Council recently designated which organisation’s chief as a Global Terrorist?
c) National Thawheed Jamath
d) Jamathei Milathu Ibrahim
2. The voting for the fourth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 was held for how many constituencies?
3. Who among the following has attained world number one position in 10m air rifle?
a) Apurvi Chandela
b) Anjum Moudgil
c) Manu Bhaker
d) Divyansh Singh Panwar
4. Who was recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019 recently by the Wrestling Federation of India?
a) Vinesh Phogat
b) Sushil Kumar
c) Sakshi Malik
d) Harpreet Singh
5. The National Company Law Tribunal approved the merger of which bank with Bharat Financial Inclusion?
a) IDBI Bank
b) Kotak Mahindra Bank
c) IndusInd Bank
d) RBL Bank
6. Who was named as first non-British President of the Marylebone Cricket Club?
a) MS Dhoni
b) Kumar Sangakkara
c) Brett Lee
d) Chris Gayle
7. RBI recently announced to issue Rs 20 banknotes of greenish-yellow colour. The new Rs 20 banknotes will bear which heritage site?
a) Elephanta Caves
b) Badami Caves
c) Bhimbetka Caves
d) Ellora Caves
8. Which rule under the ‘Conduct of Elections Rules’ lists out a six-month jail term and a Rs 1000 fine for falsely reporting malfunctioning of EVMs and VVPATs?
a) Rule 49MA
b) Rule 51GCA
c) Rule 37PB
d) Rule 24TR
9. Indonesia recently announced to relocate its capital. What is the Capital of Indonesia?
a) Denpasar Bali
10. India continues to be on the Priority Watch List of which among the following nations due to lack of sufficient measurable improvements to its Intellectual Property (IP) framework?
a) United Kingdom
d) United States
11. Which nation’s President has signed a controversial internet bill into law?
a) South Korea
c) Sri Lanka
12. Which nation has announced a ban on coverage of the face with any kind of veil or burqa?
b) United Kingdom
c) Sri Lanka
d) United States
1. (a) Jaish-e-Mohammad
The 1267 Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee of the United Nations Security Council on May 1, 2019 designated Pakistan’s Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as a Global Terrorist. With the addition of Azhar to the Al‑Qaida Sanctions List, he will be subject to the assets freeze, travel ban and arms embargo. The Sanctions List currently contains the names of 262 individuals and 83 entities.
2. (a) 72
The fourth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 was held on April 29, 2019 for 72 Lok Sabha Constituencies across 9 States. The Lok Sabha Elections 2019 Phase 4 saw voting in 17 seats of Maharashtra, 13 seats each in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, 8 in West Bengal, 6 each in Madhya Pradesh and Odisha, 5 in Bihar, and 3 in Jharkhand.
3. (a) Apurvi Chandela
India’s Apurvi Chandela on May 1, 2019 became world number 1 in women’s 10m air rifle event, according to the latest rankings released by the International Shooting Sport Federation. In February 2019, Chandela shot a world record score of 252.9 to clinch gold at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup in New Delhi.
4. (a) Vinesh Phogat
The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) recommended the names of Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019. Current number one wrestler, Punia recently won the Asian Wrestling Championships in Xi’an, China.
5. (c) IndusInd Bank
The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approved the merger of IndusInd Bank with Bharat Financial Inclusion (BFIL). The merger will be completed within 2-4 weeks. Post merger, the BFIL will become a subsidiary of the IndusInd Bank.
6. (b) Kumar Sangakkara
Former Sri Lanka captain, Kumar Sangakkara was on May 1, 2019 appointed as the President of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), England. With this, Sangakkara became the first non-British to head the Club.
7. (d) Ellora Caves
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will shortly issue Rs 20 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing signature of Shaktikanta Das, Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. The new Rs 20 banknote has motif of Ellora Caves on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The base colour of the note is Greenish Yellow.
8. (a) Rule 49MA
The Supreme Court on April 29, 2019 sought a response from the Election Commission on a plea seeking abolition of a provision in election rules that provides for prosecution of an elector if a complaint alleging malfunctioning of EVMs and VVPATs turns out to be false. A three-judge bench headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi took note of the plea, which alleged that Rule 49MA of ‘The Conduct of Elections Rules’ was unconstitutional as it criminalises reporting of malfunctioning of Electronic Voting Machines and Voter Verified Paper Audit Trails.
9. (b) Jakarta
Indonesia on April 29, 2019 announced its plans to move its capital away from Jakarta. President Joko Widodo’s government plans to establish a new Capital out of the crowded Java Island to ensure more equitable development of the country amid environmental concerns and overcrowding issues.
10. (d) United States
The United States on April 25, 2019 yet again placed India on its ‘Priority Watch List’, alleging lack of sufficient measurable improvements to its Intellectual Property (IP) framework on long-standing and new challenges, which has negatively affected American right holders over the past year.
11. (d) Russia
President Vladimir Putin on May 1, 2019 signed a new measure into law that will allow Russian authorities to isolate the country’s internet from the rest of the world and create a new national network. The ‘sovereign internet’ bill aims to expand government control over the Internet.
12. (c) Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena on April 28, 2019 announced a ban on covering of the face with burqa, veil or in any manner that prevents identification of the person. The order comes a week after coordinated blasts hit three churches and three luxury hotels in the nation, killing over 250 people and injuring more than 500 others.