Latest Current Affairs Quiz for Exam: 8 April 2019
1. The 75th anniversary of the Battle of Kangla Tongbi was commemorated on April 7, 2019. Kangla Tongbi is located in which state?
b) West Bengal
d) Tamil Nadu
2. Lakshmi Vilas Bank recently announced merger with which financier firm?
a) Bharat Financial Inclusion
b) Indiabulls Housing Finance
c) GRUH Finance
d) Capital First
3. Which city hosted the Army Commanders’ Conference 2019?
c) New Delhi
4. Kartik Chandra Rath passed away in Cuttack, Odisha on April 1, 2019. He belonged to which field?
5. When the National Maritime Day is observed every year in India?
a) 5 April
b) 6 April
c) 7 April
d) 8 April
6. Who has been elected as the new President of the World Bank?
a) David Malpass
b) Karen P Hughes
c) John R Bolton
d) Nancy J Powell
7. The United States has urged immediate halt to military operations in which nation?
8. Justice Pradeep Nandrajog has taken the oath as the new Chief Justice of which High Court?
a) Madras HC
b) Bombay HC
c) Patna HC
d) Calcutta HC
9. Kirstjen Nielsen, who announced her resignation recently, worked as the Secretary in which department under the Trump Administration?
a) Department of Homeland Security
b) Department of Commerce
c) Department of Defense
d) Department of the Treasury
10. Who won the men’s singles event at the Malaysia Open, held in Kuala Lumpur?
a) Chen Long
b) Srikanth Kidambi
c) Viktor Axelsen
d) Lin Dan
1. (a) Manipur
The 75th anniversary of the Battle of Imphal (Kangla Tongbi) was commemorated by Army Ordnance Corps at Kangla Tongbi War Memorial near Imphal, Manipur. The Battle of Imphal is referred to as one of the bloodiest battles of World War-II. The battle was fought during March 8 to July 3, 1944 by the Indian Army against the Japanese aiming to capture the logistics base of the allied forces.
2. (b) Indiabulls Housing Finance
The Board of private sector lender, Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd (LVB) on April 5, 2019 approved its merger with the mortgage financier, Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd in an all stock deal. As per the ‘Scheme of Amalgamation’ approved by the LVB board, for every 100 shares of Laxmi Vilas Bank held, shareholders will receive 14 shares of Indiabulls Housing Finance.
3. (c) New Delhi
The biannual Army Commanders’ Conference 2019 began on April 8, 2019 in New Delhi. The opening address was delivered by the Defence Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman. The conference will go on till April 14, 2019 and will be chaired by General Bipin Rawat, Chief of the Army Staff.
4. (d) Theatre
Eminent theatre organiser and playwright Kartik Chandra Rath passed away in Odisha on April 1, 2019. He is the recipient of Kendra Sangeet Natak Akademi award and Odisha Sangeet Natak Akademi award.
5. (a) 5 April
India on 5 April observes the National Maritime Day to inform people and spread awareness about intercontinental commerce and the economy worldwide. The theme of the National Maritime Day 2019 was “Indian Ocean-An Ocean of opportunity”.
6. (a) David Malpass
Senior US Treasury official David Malpass was on April 6, 2019 unanimously chosen as the new President of the World Bank. During the 2016 US presidential election, Malpass had served as an economic advisor to Donald Trump. He was also recognised for his forecasts before the financial crisis of 2007–2008 and in the time period following the Great Recession.
7. (c) Libya
The United States on April 7, 2019 called for an immediate halt to military operations in Libya as the Libyan National Army headed by Khalifa Haftar advanced on the nation’s capital, Tripoli. Around 11 people were killed and 23 wounded in clashes in southern Tripoli on April 7. The UN had appealed for a two-hour truce so casualties and civilians could be evacuated, but the fighting continued.
8. (b) Bombay HC
Justice Pradeep Nandrajog on April 7, 2019 took oath as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court. He was administered the oath by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao at the Raj Bhavan. Justice Nandrajog was serving as the Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court since March 2017, following his transfer from the Delhi High Court.
9. (a) Department of Homeland Security
Kirstjen Nielsen, the US homeland security secretary, on April 7, 2019 stepped down from her position, ending a tumultuous tenure in charge of the border security agency that had made her the target of the president’s criticism.
10. (d) Lin Dan
Chinese badminton ace Lin Dan clinched the Malaysia Open in Kuala Lumpur on April 7, 2019. After an electric performance, he beat countryman Chen Long 9-21, 21-7, 21-11. The title is Lin’s first win this year and also his first major success since taking the Malaysia Open in 2017.