Latest Current Affairs Quiz for Exam: 9 May 2019
1. Which city was chosen as the centre by Facebook for rolling out WhatsApp Pay globally?
a) New York
b) New Delhi
2. Who was appointed as the Member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal recently?
a) Justice PR Ramachandra Menon
b) Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi
c) Justice KS Radhakrishnan
d) Justice H.L. Dattu
3. The Supreme Court recently ruled that it will not extend the deadline for finalisation of the Assam NRC. What is the deadline for final submission of Assam NRC?
a) May 31, 2019
b) June 30, 2019
c) July 31, 2019
d) August 30, 2019
4. Which week was celebrated during May 6-12, 2019 globally?
a) Global Road Safety Week
b) Oil Conservation Week
c) World Immunisation Week
d) International Week of Science and Peace
5. Whose 158th Birth Anniversary was celebrated in India recently?
a) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
b) Rabindranath Tagore
c) Tipu Sultan
d) Sarojini Naidu
6. Who has been named as the Vice-Captain of the West Indies World Cup Team?
a) Andre Russell
b) Darren Bravo
c) Chris Gayle
d) Grant Elliot
7. Which nation has imposed stricter sanctions on Iran’s iron, steel, copper and aluminium industry?
b) United Kingdom
c) United States
8. Which nation has passed a new bill to combat fake news?
b) United States
9. The Indian Embassy located in this nation has issued important instructions for Indian job aspirants.
a) Saudi Arabia
10. The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended the names of Justices B R Gavai, Surya Kant for elevation as apex court judges. Justice Surya Kant is the incumbent Chief Justice of which high court?
a) Himachal Pradesh High Court
b) Jharkhand High Court
c) Gauhati High Court
d) Bombay High Court
1. (d) London
Facebook chose London as the base for rolling out WhatsApp Pay globally. WhatsApp Pay is the digital payments service available on the messaging platform. The company is currently working on to launch WhatsApp Pay in India.
2. (c) Justice KS Radhakrishnan
Former Supreme Court judge, Justice (Retired) KS Radhakrishnan was appointed as the Member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal of London. He will serve a 4-year term.
3. (c) July 31, 2019
The Supreme Court ruled that it will not extend the deadline for finalisation of the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC). The ruling came after NRC Coordinator Prateek Hajela informed that claimants, who have objected to inclusion or exclusion of certain individuals, have not appeared before panels.
4. (a) Global Road Safety Week
The Global Road Safety Week is being celebrated across the world during May 6 to May 12, 2019. The Theme for this year’s week is ‘Leadership for road safety’.
5. (b) Rabindranath Tagore
The 158th Birth Anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore was celebrated across the country. Tagore was a poet, short-story writer, song composer, playwright, essayist, and painter. He wrote ‘Jana Gana Mana’, the national anthem for India.
6. (c) Chris Gayle
Chris Gayle has been appointed as the vice-captain of the West Indies World Cup team that will be led by Jason Holder. The 39-year-old Jamaican, who will retire from the One-day International (ODI) format of the game following the Cricket World Cup 2019 expressed his gratitude and support to the team.
7. (c) United States
US President Donald Trump has imposed stricter sanctions on Iran’s iron, copper, steel and aluminium industry. The move aims to stop Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
8. (d) Singapore
Singapore’s Parliament has passed a new law, the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Bill, to fight the menace of fake news. The new legislation will enable the ruling government to order social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to put up warnings next to posts that are deemed to be false or get them taken down in extreme cases.
9. (b) UAE
The Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Indian Consulate in Dubai have issued cautionary warning to the Indians seeking jobs in the UAE, saying that they must authenticate their employment offers and permit visas before arriving in the country.
10. (a) Himachal Pradesh High Court
The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended the names of Justices B R Gavai and Surya Kant to the Centre for their elevation as apex court judges. While, Justice Gavai is presently a judge at the Bombay High Court, Justice Kant is the current Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court.